Breaking News: Canada announces First-Ever Express Entry invitations for skilled newcomers with STEM experience
Canada’s Express Entry system has been specifically tailored to create an efficient and streamlined pathway for individuals with expertise in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM), recognizing the tremendous value and transformative potential these professionals bring to the country.
By prioritizing the invitation of skilled newcomers with STEM experience, Canada aims to meet the increasing demand for talent and fill crucial positions that contribute to economic growth and technological advancement.
The country is currently facing worker shortages in key sectors, and immigration plays a vital role in addressing these labor gaps. To address this issue, Minister Fraser recently announced changes to the Express Entry system through category-based selection.
These changes are designed to address labor needs that align with specific economic goals and also strengthen Francophone immigration by inviting candidates with relevant work experience or language ability to apply for permanent residence.
Today, Minister François-Philippe Champagne, on behalf of Minister Sean Fraser, announced that the first round of category-based selection focusing on STEM candidates, including data scientists, software developers, mathematicians, statisticians, actuaries, and electrical and electronics engineers, will open during the week of July 5. This initiative aims to support Canada’s science and technology sector by attracting skilled talent that businesses require to drive innovation and achieve their growth potential.
This announcement marks a significant milestone in Canada’s commitment to attracting top global talent and solidifying its position as a leader in research, development, and innovation. Category-based selection, along with general invitation rounds, will continue throughout the year to support Canada’s commitment to welcoming in-demand professionals across the country. Further details regarding these selection rounds will be announced in the coming weeks.
Furthermore, this announcement aligns with the Government of Canada’s ongoing efforts to recruit and retain exceptional candidates to address STEM workforce challenges. It also builds upon the recent launch of the Tech Talent Attraction Strategy, reinforcing Canada’s reputation as the ideal location worldwide to initiate and scale technology companies.
- Express Entry is Canada’s primary application management system for individuals seeking permanent immigration through programs such as the Federal Skilled Worker Program, the Federal Skilled Trades Program, the Canadian Experience Class, and a portion of the Provincial Nominee Program.
- In June 2022, the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act was amended to allow for the selection of immigrants based on specific attributes that support economic priorities, including work experience and French language proficiency.
- On May 31, 2023, Minister Fraser introduced category-based selection, a new process aimed at welcoming skilled newcomers with work experience in priority jobs as permanent residents.
- The categories for selection were determined through extensive consultations with provincial and territorial partners, stakeholders, and the public, as well as a comprehensive review of labor market needs. A complete list of eligible jobs for these categories is available on the official website.
- Immigration accounts for nearly 100% of Canada’s labor force growth, playing a crucial role in addressing labor shortages in key sectors.
- Under the Canada-Québec Accord, Quebec sets its own immigration levels. From 2018 to 2022, admissions under the Federal High-Skilled program accounted for 34% to 40% of overall French-speaking admissions outside Quebec.
For more information please visit Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
FOLLOW OUR SOCIAL MEDIA CHANNELS